Saturday, January 29, 2011

I think 40 and up might be the last generation of Americans who have a long span of shared cultural references. This is on the basis of limited media outlets, particularly UHF television that kept Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein in rotation through the 1980's.

On that note, here's Marty Feldman.


History will absolve Mike said...

I was just talking to my friend John Walsh about being dropped off at the Clementon Movie Theater as a kid. Very few adults attended so it was mostly 10 year old children running around in a state of liberated anarchy. The staff had no control over us whatsoever, we were a hoard of 150 hyenas let loose on a Saturday afternoon so that our parents, for the cost of 50 cents, would be rid of us for the four hours it took to watch a double feature. I have a very vivid memory of watching Santa Claus Conquers the Martians during one of those halcyon days of entropic social behavior. This unbridled joy that we felt during these afternoons is rarely achieved today.

ZS said...

I wrote a long thing and now it's not here. Damn.

Ernie said...

In order to constitute culture, it kinda has to be shared.

When you leave the enclave, it seems that way: I just have to figure out when I arrived.

In 1984, I went to work at the U.S. Department of Labor: While talking about a problem, I alluded to Rudyard Kipling's 'Jungle Book.' I couldn't find anyone who'd heard of Riki Tiki Tavi. It was discouraging.