Friday, December 03, 2010

This PMA show is going to be Jung heavy, believe that. And while this has been practically flogged to death, it will be a repudiation of the Freudian construct of superego, ego and id. Believe that, too.

I'm rooted in the beginnings of psychology and psychiatry for this show. I'm feeling out how to present Philadelphia as it's own distinct character, without over anthropomorphizing it. And I'm feeling out Jung's ideas about the state as "a quasi-animate personality" and working out the distinctions between "state" and "place" in term of Philadelphia. Philadelphia is, of course, both "state" and "place." And for me it's also "home." There's important distinctions among these definitions of Philadelphia and I'm working on seeing all of them. Personal history, community history, national history are always a little fluid in Philadelphia.

4 comments:

History will absolve Mike said...

I got two words for you:
Wilhelm Fucking Reich or...
if you prefer (and I suspect that you will)...
Viktor Frankel.

ZS said...

Here's 3 Frankl quotes that are going to come into play:

"Ever more people today have the means to live, but no meaning to live for."

"The last of human freedoms - the ability to chose one's attitude in a given set of circumstances."


"What is to give light must endure burning."

But you know I'm down with both and I wish I owned an orgone accumulator. I'm also going to be fucking with some Edward Bernays.

I'm going to work on this job with the urgency and insanity of the Manhattan Project.

Love you MacFeat.

History will absolve Mike said...

I have always wanted to build an orgone accumulator. I was a lamenting that it wouldn't fit in the living room, maybe put it in the spare bedroom, actually thinking of ways I could put it on the deck,how I would protect it from the elements and going through the construction process in my head (I study the plans off and on) just two days ago.

ZS said...

Let me know if you get it up and going.