Thursday, May 06, 2010

"What's Next?" with Zoe Strauss

1. Heading to Ohio for an opening at the Wexner Center tomorrow.


2. Sunday, vacation for one week, me and my #1 lady.


3. The following Sunday, I'll begin writing about I-95 here, what the project was and how it worked. Plus, I'm going to start actually look at my finances, I'm thousands and thousands and thousands of dollars in debt and I have summarily ignored quite a number of things that need immediate attention. It's almost as if I'm coming out of a 2 year long suspended state where I focused on my work at the expense of every other thing in my life. So, on that Sunday, I will begin cleaning the house and the studio, walking for exercise, organizing my photos, answering emails, seeing friends, watering plants and petting dogs.


5. Back to Ohio for an artist’s talk.


4. Then to England, to Brighton to produce work for the Brighton Photo Biennial.

5. Back home.

6. Back to Brighton for the opening at the Brighton Photo Biennial.

7. Then to Light Work for a month in October.

8. Finally, work a show at Bruce Silverstein, work on another big show about I-95, get a job with a regular paycheck to pay off debts. My wife has pretty much supported me and my work for the last 15 years, so maybe it's time to contribute to our household finances.

9. I have a big project I'd like to work on, not yet, starting in 2012 or 2013. A 7 year project where I produce a book a year and the set makes one complete piece... in a way, the inverse of I-95 where the 3 hour installation was the piece and the photos and slideshows were the details. For the next project, the books and the ability for them to move about in the world is the piece, and any site specific projects would be details or excerpts from the books.


Working titles for the individual books are "Trouble," "Nogales/Nogales," "To This Year in Jerusalem," "Alaskan Summer Solstice," "Rocky Flats," "Pine Ridge" and the seventh doesn't even have a working title yet. It's really possible that this vision won't come to fruition in the time I've allotted for it because it's going to be A LOT of money to get this shit done. But, if anything, I'm a pretty dedicated woman. It'll also mean that I need to travel, to Ulster and other places in Ireland, to England, to Denver, to Nogales, USA and Nogales, Mexico, to Alaska, to South Dakota, to Idaho and to Jerusalem. I have conviction that this project will be FUCKING AWESOME.


10. My guess is that's going to take me into my mid-50s so look for an update on what's after that around 2025. Root for me to live that long because I'm totally taking in to the next level.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

re: get a job with a regular paycheck to pay off debts. My wife has pretty much supported me and my work for the last 15 years, so maybe it's time to contribute to our household finances.


I'm pretty sure the MacArthur grant you get in the next few years will help.

:-)

regards,

Allan Smithee

ZS said...

Mr. Smithee,

I have several things for you AND I would love to see you. How about not next week, but the week following? Pick the day and the place and I'll be there. Thanks for everything.

Love,
ZS

Anonymous said...

Ah, very cool... When you two get back we'll touch base again and schedule something.

Allan Smithee