Thursday, March 04, 2010

Big, big dilemma over what to do about "Don't Drink or Sit." BIG DILEMMA!

In my original layout, a photo I made in 2002 of was going to be in aisle 1, and another image I made of the same wall, about 5 years later and with the majority of the text deleted, was going to face it in aisle 6.

"Don't Drink or Sit Original" was slated for 20
"Don't Drink or Sit Deleted" was slated for 220

167 don't-drink-or(ASS)-2.jpg

2002

Don't Drink or Sit deleted 13 web

2007


----


al_6219_1 web

Then I decided that "Al" should be 19... facing forward and following the order of "If You Break the Skin," "Red Carpet," and "Doors in Open Structure."

The syntax of "Al" preceding "Don't Drink or Sit" doesn't work, so I'm going to pull it from the first aisle because I think that "Al" makes so much more sense in that spot, even though I structured the layout with "Don't Drink or Sit" as one of the keystones for placement of other photos.


----

While the installation isn't about literal representation of place or time, I wanted to include the "Don't Drink" photos to evoke the same kind of spanning and connection that I have with the photos of Tonya Beacham.


tonya_Tanya_1 web
12


woman at cabrini-green 2 web
206

the photos above face each other from a block away, aisle 1 and aisle 6


---

The photos below face out from each other, but they're not connected in terms of time or place, but in terms of formal qualities.

Kelley web.jpg
99

linda sunoco 3 woman store kensington web
136

Aisles 3 and 4


---


These 2 as well

half house left side boulevard full web
54


half house_8286_2 web
177

Aisles 3 and 4


----


Don't Drink or Sit deleted 13 web


Now I've moved "Don't Drink or Sit Deleted" to 228, next to last, and I thinks that's where it's going to stay.



----

I-95 95 map 2010

No comments: