Saturday, February 13, 2010

I am for marriage for all and against marriage entirely.

I believe in Marriage Equality.

"Marriage Equality, Inc. began as an idea in 1996 with a handful of activists believing that same-sex couples should have the freedom and the right to civil marriage, and angry that the federal government wanted to pass a law barring LGBT people from this right."
- From Marriage Equality USA

Wear a White Knot to support marriage equality, and full equal rights under the law for everyone.

And I believe this too...

"To be forced back into the heterosexual cage of coupledom is not a step forward but a step back into state-imposed definitions of relationship. With all that we have learned, we should be helping our heterosexual brothers and sisters out of their state-defined prisons, not volunteering to join them there." -Jane Rule

But to be honest, as much as I can rail against the patriarchal institution of marriage, I'd love to not worry about wills and property ownership and taxes and hospital visitation rights. Also, I want to be married and that's what matters.

No comments: