Wednesday, June 10, 2009

We Came to Work by Elena Herrada


Image from Walter P. Reuther Library, Wayne State University

----

I am obsessed with going to Detroit as soon as possible. With the fall of GM, this is a moment I'm dying to record in Detroit. If only I had a lot of money, I'd be there in a heartbeat... but isn't that the problem we all have right now? Detroit was top of my list for where I wanted to go when making America but it was the one place I didn't make it. That's fine, but I have to go there now.



It's the downtown GM complex that's calling me... I must see it and I must make photos of it and I'd like to go tomorrow. If there's any journalism outlet that wants to send me, call me immediately on my cell phone 267-250-4158 or email me at info (@) zoestrauss (.) com. Right, I'm well aware that I'm not a journalist but I really need to go. I'm not fucking around.

7 comments:

ruben said...

I agree Zoe.
Will Steacy was there and got some incredible photos of the urban lansdscape there.
I will love to see what you come up with.
Can any Philadelphia news organization will sponsor you?

Christopher Paquette said...

if you need an assistant, I'm there.

Anonymous said...

you would certainly be able to make some great images there. my mother grew up out there. it really is a ghost town out there - come 5pm most people just dissapear. the renn center is actually in one of the nicer parts of town. there are some urban parks out there - i think the joe louis fist is out that way too [though i haven't been to that part of town in years. i could be wrong]. basically near there - the sports arenas [strangely enough i think the last time i was there they were building condos all around the ballpark putting these upscale builidngs in the middle of a wasteland] - the DIA - it doesn't seem like its so bad. anywhere else is fair game.

careful though - for a driving city - it is easy to get lost with the way the roads are laid out [lets just say it is easy to "accidentally" get on the bridge to canada...]

hope you find a way to get out there.

oh yeah - and there's this too: http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090128/METRO08/901280491

Anonymous said...

p.s. maybe you can work out some kind of guest lecture/visiting artist thing with the College for Creative Studies in Detroit. Not sure on the chances in the summer...but worth looking into?

ZS said...

Thanks and thanks! I'm very excited about the College for Creative Studies... I knew nothing about it and think it's great. Also, that photo by Max Ortiz is absolutely making it into my top photos of 2009, beautiful and horrible.

Beth said...

Do you know this site, The Fabulous Ruins of Detroit?

http://www.detroityes.com/home.htm

It does not cost much money to go to Detroit! You could stay with my cousin Frank!

Anonymous said...

also: http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/06/17/detroit.artists.homes/index.html