Monday, June 08, 2009

So much more that I'll tell about in a later post, but I'm thinking about teaching again.

I have a mixed feeling about teaching because I take things pretty seriously, and don't really feel like I can commit fully because I'm working on my own work. I can't not give a lot of myself, I go full throttle with shit. Hence the ongoing "If You Break The Skin" connection and the contact with every intern I've ever had... including Manny who has actually become an honorary family member. Teaching is about 1000 times harder than I thought it would be, and I thought it would be difficult. Also, to be perfectly honest, I don't offer up a traditional pedagogy for folks. I know a lot of shit but I barely graduated high school and completed about a year and a half of liberal arts at Temple. Not that strong of a resume, friends.

And I have a problem with the idea of paying to learn. In terms of higher eduction, I'm a true anarchist and find it immoral and abhorrent to pay money to learn. All information should be available to people if they are committed to learning This doesn't mean that I wouldn't teach at a college or university, but I'd always have a twinge of apprehension... and I'd always make what I would teach available to whoever wanted to know the readings and the syllabus.

Did I have you as a student? Up at SVA? Email me and yet me know if you thought you got anything out of the class.

No comments: