Sunday, April 26, 2009

I saw a Franz Kline show at the Academy in 1986, "The Vital Gesture: Franz Kline"


Franz Kline: Mahoning


And here's a sofa available at Interior Concepts, a few blocks from my house.




And here's an image I made this year

palmer_0862 web

Palmer Parking Lot


My image can reference both. And a billion other things I've seen in my life. The viewer finishes the image. I've found that when I'm speaking, sometimes people want a simple answer, they want a "who are your influences" that connects to visual art in a traditional sense. Of course that's a valid question and of great importance to me, but it's not so cut and dry. Often it's everything ever that's the influence, and I'm trying to find a way to say that, for me, often there's great complexity in even the most direct or spare images. And sometimes there's nothing complex. The photo's exactly what's seen in the frame with nothing more conscious than making forms.

No comments: