Thursday, March 05, 2009

I love California, and I find it a little shocking that I do. I really loved LA, which seems antithetical to all that I love of home, but I'm pleasantly surprised that I can enjoy both. People often feel the need to disparage one place because they love another but what's the point?

One thing that I've found interesting is how not laid back I am... the California work vibe is distinctly different. I am against the insane work structure that American culture has laid out for us, and I am a supporter of a maximum 30 hour work week for all and two months of vacation. But I'll be damned if an hour and a half lunch over something with avocados doesn't make me fucking nuts! Or slow driving. Or it being ok to be an hour late. I am often late, time management is difficult for me, but what the what with "see you around 2 or 3?" Are you people crazy? When I was in France, I loved the 2 hour lunch/ shut down during the day, but I don't think I could live like that. It's kind of sad when I think about it, not being able to acclimate to a more human daily schedule. Rosemary grows as shrubs here and the smell of the air is amazing. Whatever, back to work.

2 comments:

nina said...

agreeing on all points!

Heart As Arena said...

California.