Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Zoe Strauss Pioneer Portrait Studio: 200 Free Portraits

Hello Alaskan Friends.

I will be making 200 free portraits in Anchorage this week. This Friday, February 6th, from 5:30PM to 7:30PM, anyone can come to the International Gallery and get their portrait taken in front of a beautiful Alaskan mountain backdrop. I will print a 4"x6" photo for the sitter, which will be available beginning Sunday Feb 8th. Just come back to the gallery at your convenience and take your photo off the wall. The International Gallery of Contemporary Art is open Tuesday-Sunday, noon to 4PM.

Portraits are also available by appointment. Contact me at info (at) zoestrauss (dot) com if you're into getting your portrait made but can't make it over on Friday.

Zoe Strauss Pioneer Portrait Studio

at the

International Gallery of Contemporary Art
427 D Street
Anchorage, Alaska

February 6, 2009

5:30PM - 7:30PM

Thanks to Marc for all his help! Marc, you are super!

chelsea_9637 web
The one and only Ms. Chelsea Bailey in front of the test backdrop.

One of these images will be the backdrop, most likely the bottom one. But you can't go wrong with any of them.




backdrops_9655 web


Unrelated, I was blown away by the work of this guy who submitted the 2 photos below to the International Gallery for an open call of Freeze installation shots. The IGCA opted not to hang them with the other photos of the recent Freeze festival, probably because they are not of the Freeze festival but rather randomly submitted photos of a topless woman in high waisted pants and a guy who is "photo says it all, no need for words." Whoa!

topless alaska_9658 web

topless alaska_9659 web

I'm pretty sure the title for the bottom one is, "My New Bride Arrived Via Dog Sled Today."


Anonymous said...

200 portraits in 2 hours? That's 1 every 54 seconds, isn't it? Good luck!

ruben said...

Ok Zoe..I wish I can be in Alaska right now...Damn~!

Anonymous said...

Are those really mountains or bull-dozed snow piles in a parking lot?

zs said...

1. Thanks! I'm going to try and pump them out, but thenumber 200 is based on my having the supplies for 200 portraits... I'm pretty sure that the demand won't equal in the supply within that time frame. But if it does, I'm ready to motor.

2. Ruben I wish you were here too!

Andrew said...

I'm almost certain those are shots from Playboy's Women of Alaska pictorial in the late 80s early 90s. (What? I was a teenager!)

Re: the portraits. Lucky alaskans, sheesh.

zs said...

Andrew, I'm right there with you, except I think it might have been a 70's spread... An interview with Joe Namath, an article about Billy Carter and "Women of Alaska" pictorial.