Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Volcanic Action

Anchorage is now preparing for the possibility of a volcanic eruption busting out from Mount Redoubt. Geologists and volcanic seismologists say Mt. Redoubt could erupt "within days" so I'm getting the dust mask respirator and the goggles tomorrow in case of a strong Northeasterly wind happening concurrently to a gigantic eruption. Worse comes to worst, I can drive back up to the cabin with the wolves.

Geologists say this volcano could blow ash 8, EIGHT!, miles straight up. I was planning on heading down to Kenai for a day trip, but I think I'm going to hold off on it until the volcano settles down. This doesn't mean I don't want to go to Kenai right now. On the contrary, it's taking a lot of restraint to not go down there and wait for it but what kind of selfish ass is like, "Hey, I don't live here but could I use some of your space and your supplies during a natural disaster?"



East Flank of Redoubt Volcano. Photo by Game McGimsey
Alaska Volcano Observatory / Alaska Division of Geological & Geophysical Surveys.

- what a name, "Game McGimsey"

2 comments:

Steve said...

When I was a kid we camped on a beach within clear view of the then-smoking Augustine Volcano on a nearby island.

Geologists were warning of full on eruption. I asked my dad what would happen and he said that a tsunami would likely wash away the beach we were camping on, but he also said it had been threatening eruption for a while and we were only there for a few days.

It worried me, but I'm still alive. I don't think it ever really erupted.

zs said...

That sounds pretty great to be near a smoking volcano, of course, with no problems... glad your dad's alarmist tsunami threat seems to have added to the vacation.