Thursday, December 18, 2008

Alaska AIR: Land of the Noon-Day Night

I'm headed to Alaska thanks to United States Artists. To Anchorage and the surrounding area, and hopefully a little farther North to have a knockout view of the Northern Lights. The aurora borealis is on the top of my "things to see" list... I'm very excited to be going to Alaska in the dead of winter.





----


As I've been thinking about this trip, I've been working on a piece that I'm planning on producing in the next few years, a 4 walled projection, a series of outdoor projections and a photo series. TBA, friends.



Waterfall Motion Aftereffect
The extra-retinal motion aftereffect


----


“United States Artists is committed to providing new opportunities for America’s finest creative talent, both through financial support and programs that catalyze new artistic expression,” said USA Executive Director Katharine DeShaw. “With the generous support of the Rasmuson Foundation, we have forged exciting partnerships with local organizations that will give USA fellows exposure to native cultures, unique arts communities, and dramatic landscapes unlike any in the continental U.S. The inaugural season of Alaska AIR resulted in pioneering artistic work and we know the program will continue to enrich the state’s cultural organizations and the communities they serve in the year ahead.”

The USA fellows participating in the 2009 Alaska AIR program are playwright Anthony J. Garcia (Denver, CO) dance duo Eiko & Koma (New York, NY), and textile artist Gwendolyn Magee (Jackson, MS) and me.



----


I am anxious about Alaska for one big reason, I will be away from Lynn Bloom for a month. That's the longest I've been away from her in almost 20 years. I'm hoping that I don't have a nervous breakdown. No amount of cod liver oil or indoor light box exposure will be able to remedy my anxiety about being away from her.

About 12-13 years ago I worked on an installation that was set up in the bedroom next to ours. It was something I was compelled to set up in our house and it was a whole room with many dangerous things, emotionally dangerous and physically dangerous.

A one point during the year it took to finish Whirlforce, I purchased heroin and cocaine for the lab because that was an important component of the installation. There were already a number of things that didn't make a lot of sense in the household... preserved animal organs, chloroform and ether , formaldehyde... the list goes on. So Lynn Bloom was not too happy about the heroin and cocaine purchases. And I have to say, rightfully so. Can you believe how incredibly self-centered I am? I mean, I just compulsively do what I think is my best work, and she supports me in every sense. I didn't even give a thought as to how nuts that was. I see LB as a collaborator, and not just because her opinion is the one I trust; because I wouldn't have been able to produce any of my work without having her in my life.

I can't be any luckier to be with Ms. Bloom... and while I'm presenting that in terms of my work, I mean it about every facet of my life. This summer will mark our 20th anniversary. That means I've been with LB for more than half of my life, and I couldn't be any happier, appreciative, or more in love.


Also, what about how lucky I am to have my family? My mom and my sister and my brother Cosmo and even that jack-in-the-ass Walker. Lucky is an understatement. And my extended family, Buddy and Rita and All the Fauxes and Ellen and my in-laws. There's plenty more to list. I'm telling you friends, I have a charmed life.

4 comments:

ruben said...

Zoe:
Have a great time and take lots of photos.
Oh and please if you ran into Sarah Palin leave it cooling off inside an iceberg. Don't bring her back with you unless she is a changed woman!

Mark said...

Give the heroin to Ms Palin, it can't hurt.. Safe travels with the polar bears!

patcaribou said...

ohmigod! you've got fans in AK! please come to fairbanks (after Dec 30th, though) maybe i can get my book signed! the last few years, the aurora hasn't been so great but two good resources are:
www.gedds.alaska.edu/AuroraForecast/
and
www.spaceweather.com

be sure to pick up a good pair of carhart overalls and bunny boots at the army-navy store on 4th Ave!

albert said...

when are you shipping off?