Sunday, November 09, 2008

OK, we are headed into a full blown economic depression but I am optimistic that we can all weather the great difficult in the coming years. Why? Because I am an optimist.

Philadelphia has had two major events that have greatly impacted the city's psyche on the whole: Phillies World Series win and the election of Barack Obama. Now we are facing severe budget cuts, ones that will impact quality of life in the city. But while I am opposed to the some of the choices of where to cut cash, eg. libraries, firehouses, there's not enough money to support city services. Look, we can work on picking up outside a little more and shoveling snow, but there ain't no way we can rock out with a bucket brigade if you feel me. However, because of the tremendously great events of the last 2 weeks, I don't have a doubt that we can get it together to make it through.

And is this budget disaster happening because I haven't yet paid my 2007 taxes? Possibly, but I doubt it.


I propose that Philadelphia borrows an enormous amount of money, I mean a bail-out amount of money, friends, and kick off a New Millennium Works Progress Administration... new green building and greening of the city, repairing Philadelphia's infrastructure, new energy solutions, arts and culture, historical preservation and innovative programs to incorporate Philadelphia's history into our everyday lives in the city. Looking past the next few years, where will the city be in 100 years? And can we plan for Philadelphia to thrive for centuries ahead? We can help to repair the right now by looking ahead.

Also, a return to true vocational education, including civics and home education for all high school students, would be awesome. Do it!

------


The WPA lifted Americans' spirits in times of struggle. Do its striking visuals still make a mark? by A.D. Amorosi











WPA Posters- Philadelphia

No comments: