Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Ode to Judy Blume

While she is most often categorized as a solely a children's writer, I submit that Judy Blume is one of America's most important and influential writers because of her books geared toward children.

Highly Recommended-

Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret. 1970
Then Again, Maybe I Won't 1971
Freckle Juice 1971
It's Not the End of the World 1972
Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing 1972
Otherwise Known as Sheila the Great 1972
Deenie 1973
Blubber 1974
Forever 1975
Starring Sally J. Freedman as Herself 1977

Judy Blume is a genius. And Judy Blume is also one of the most consistently censored authors. These books have been in print since the 70s and the massive censorship push was in the 80s, so you can see there's been a battle to keep kids from reading these books for a looooong time. Harry Potter is also up there right now with most censored books, but there's no way witchcraft is going to make the religious right more mental than they'd be about masturbation or menstruation.

Judy Blume on censorship.

1 comment:

Tracy said...

Ooh, I love Judy Blume books! They were a HUGE part of my childhood and Are you There God was SO scandalous! I had plenty of friends whose parents wouldn't allow them to read it. I loaned them my copy on the sly, of course:)

My girls have read most of her books, but aren't as enraptured as I was. They are pretty tame now, I guess.