Friday, September 12, 2008

I met Dorthia a few months ago and made some beautiful photos of her. I always veer toward the more explicit photos, I like for things to be shown, but I chose a very romantic, longing and quiet photo of Dorthia for the book. I think this was indicative of many of the choices for America... I wanted a slow build, with different layers, which changed the whole structure and syntax of the book and left less room for those photos that might stop someone cold. Essentially, I structured the book with more quiet and nuanced things.


These photos were all in the running...

dorthia_2289_1 web

dorthia_2291_1 web

dorthia_2286_1 web


------

This was the America winner...

dorthia_2307 web




------

The bloody lip photo below was in America until the last, last, last edit and it will really be missed, but it was impossible to place it.

bloody lip17_3web

1 comment:

julia said...

I love your final choice for Dorthia. It is much more romantic and I think captures the viewer for much longer as they gaze into her eyes. I can't wait to see the book.