Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Election Depression

I managed to get through the last 8 years with great difficulty. When Bush was elected I thought that I could ignore it until the next election... how wrong I was. I am obsessed with this election and why anyone would vote for John McCain. I am an optimist, but when it's election time my faith in basic human decency falls like Jim O'Brien.


---


I still see many of the guys who helped make "If You Break the Skin." Quite a project that was. That project is long done and I doubt anyone will see the film in the future, but it will hold on to me for a long, long time.

Phylicia dropped out of school and chipped her front tooth in a fight.
Misha had another miscarriage, she carried the baby to 7 months and now has a tattoo of her baby's name. So much for my direct edict, "DO NOT GET PREGNANT AND IF YOU DO HAVE AN ABORTION."
Meme's homeless and living on a friend's floor just a few blocks from me.
Charday is finally back from the South and is staying with her biological mom.
Tracy, although I haven't talked to her, seems great via my reading her myspace page
Meme told me Diane is doing ok
Daliyl is fierce somewhere, I'm sure


Art matters, I'm certain of it. If You Break the Skin couldn't be measured quantitatively, it's worth was in the hopes of promoting some critical thinking skills for the long haul. But when I get calls asking for cash for basic necessities and think about some of the lifetime emotional and psychological struggles and the system that most of those guys will try to navigate for years to come... I don't know if that money would have been better spent to keep some of them from becoming homeless. I think the project was valuable beyond the money, but I can't help but thinking that it seems crazy when some of these guys still hit me up for money years later.

Charday is back and looking to get into Valley Youth House independent living and go to CCP. Meme and Misha were both in that program and it's a difficult one to be in, but I'm sure Ms. Laverty can do ok in it. She doesn't like to listen to authorities (really, who does?) so it will be hard for her, but a great chance to go to school. Do it, Charday. Streets is watching.





-----

Be Near Me When My Light Is Low

Lord Alfred Tennyson

Be near me when my light is low,
When the blood creeps, and the nerves prick
And tingle; and the heart is sick,
And all the wheels of Being slow.
Be near me when the sensuous frame
Is rack'd with pangs that conquer trust;
And Time, a maniac scattering dust,
And Life, a Fury slinging flame.

Be near me when my faith is dry,
And men the flies of latter spring,
That lay their eggs, and sting and sing
And weave their petty cells and die.

Be near me when I fade away,
To point the term of human strife,
And on the low dark verge of life
The twilight of eternal day.

1 comment:

addie said...

holy shit, that jim o'brien remark just totally stunned me. i mean, in a good way.